What is dust free cat litter?
Quick absorbing materials are using to make dust free cat litters. For making dust free cat litters, shredded newspapers, vegetable materials, or shredded softwood are using as the media. It can quickly absorb cat feces and urine. The litter will clump the urine and feces and does not let it spread around the area.
Dust free cat litters can absorb the odor, which is suitable for cats as well as human and keep the home clean. You can find many cat litters in the market such as clay-based, sand based and corn litters, etc. Out of all these, the most famous cat litter is the clay-based litter, which is not dust free but uses many fine particles. This is not health friendly and may be a reason for respiratory issues.
However, most of the dust free litters use clay as a clumping agent, but it will contain sodium bentonite as the main ingredient, which has excellent absorption quality and resists forming the litter and feces to powder. Sand based and corn based cat litters are dust free. Corn kernels also have good quality in absorbing feces and urine.
In this article, we will discuss some dust-free cat litters that can keep your home clean.
What should one consider when choosing the best cat litter?
- Price: Decide the amount you will like to invest in your new cat litter, it will be easier to filter your search and find the best in that price range.
- Weight: Depending on the number of cats you own, decide the amount of cat litter you require until the next purchase. Choose the right packet as per your requirement.
- Litter texture: Not all the cats are comfortable with the same cat litters. Make sure your cat is happy with your choice and continue with the same brand without changing the brand frequently as it becomes hard for your pet to understand the new texture of the litter.
- Claw: Some cats with declawed paws will find it very sensitive, and would generally prefer a softer texture of the litter, like clay.
- Understand the types of litter:
Many types of cat litters you can find on the market, but the most common are the following:
- Clay litter: It remains to be one of the most popular cat litters available in the market. It is inexpensive and highly efficient and is traditionally preferred choice for many cat owners.
- Clumping litter: This litter comes with a clay base, charged with clumping agent helps to clump together and convert as balls when the cat uses it. Owners can quickly remove the feces and urine. The clumping quality may vary depending on the brand.
- Deodorant litter: It comes clumping and odor neutralizing agents in the litter. In some brands, they use baking soda, and some brands are using enzymes to neutralize the odor.
- Crystal cat litter: It is a synthetically produced cat litter made with the use of silicon dioxide. It has the same properties as of a shoe box or a diaper, claiming the same absorbent power. It soaks up the urine, dehydrates feces and traps the odor in their pebble-sized rocks.
- Biodegradable Natural litters: Wheat, corn kernels and pine pellets are using to make biodegradable natural litters. Since the litter is sawdust in size, it can easily absorb the urine and absorb the odor. These are safe for cats, as it does not tangle in their toes good for cats with respiratory issues.
- Recycled paper litter: Recycled papers litters have excellent absorption quality, and are dust free. It will not tangle in the paw pads and hence is comfortable to use.