Euthanizing is a process or the act of putting an animal to death. It allows the dog to die without the extreme suffering of medical conditions. The reason for euthanizing may vary considerably and is a personal choice. However, it is not killing the dog for any profit or monetary benefit.
It is a preferred choice:
Nowadays many dog lovers prefer to execute this process at home without a vet. The reasons cited vary from individuals. For some, it is the way to end the misery or the suffering of their loved dog. Euthanizing at home can do done without much pain to the dog than the vet.The process of euthanizing, also known as putting down, or put to sleep or bring an end to the misery of your loved dog. It is a very emotional and painful process for both the pet dog and the owner. Some of the ways of carrying out this process are as follow:
- Intravenous anesthetic: It is a two-stage process and can do without the help of a vet. The first stage involves the initial injection that causes the pet unconscious and the second is the final parting shot. It is somewhat preferred because it allows the owner to say the final goodbye. It is also preferred because it is less painful than the other ways.
The Euthanize process:
The euthanize process is possible to perform at the home with some prior knowledge or under medical supervision. If doing with no medical supervision then knowledge about vet injections and the procedure must be very clear. However, before carrying out the procedure, a regular vet should examine the dog thoroughly. It is imperative to perform the checking on the same day or just a day before when you are planning for the euthanize process.The dog is sedated using intramuscular injection. After approximately five to fifteen minutes, a catheter placed in the dog’s veins to inject the euthanasia solution. By the time, the injection given to the dog, its brain stops functioning and the heart will stop pumping. A medical examination is essential to confirm, to make sure the death of the dog.
Should not follow these practices:
Some other ways of putting a dog to death, which is a big no at home, are like the shooting, cervical dislocation in smaller dogs and inhalants. These methods are not preferred and involve physical pain and trauma both to the dog and its owner. It should be certainly discouraged, but there are exceptional cases too.Emotional preparations:Euthanizing your pet dog at home involves both mental and physical readiness. Giving euthanasia is no doubt a personal choice. It has certain advantages like grieving alone without showing the emotions in public. It is a coin with both sides.Taking the pet to the vet can be painful for both the dog and the owner. In this case, if possible consider giving sedatives before the ride. Then this depends on the distance and the time taken for traveling.
Avoid euthanizing if possible at home:
Euthanizing at home is usually discouraged due to various reasons. Vets feel and suggest it is better to execute this procedure in a controlled setting. At home, the dog may feel comfortable and lay down at peace. However, the last memories associated with it might not be pleasant. Moreover, if something goes wrong or some inevitable medical help needed, then it will be a complicated situation. Drugs might not work as expected; the problem in finding the veins especially in older or dehydrated dogs might arise.Before considering the option of in-home euthanasia, there are some essential things, and you should know about it. They are as follows:
- Memories and emotions: One should think about the aftermath associated with it carefully, which is very hard to deal. Some vets have said that clients do not visit the room again where the dog had its last moment.
- The presence of family and friends: One should decide beforehand if one wants the whole family to view the procedure with friends and children or alone. It will be at times comforting.
- Time: If the procedure has some problem or if the dog has a seizure, then a medical help is essential, and it must be available immediately. It is always better not to let your dog suffer.
- Cost: At home, euthanasia cost less than at the veterinary clinic or in the hospital. However, if an unwanted situation arises as if the dog develops seizures or is in respiratory distress, then you must call a vet immediately.
Therefore, it is advisable to plan the process of euthanizing by considering both the pros and cons in mind. In addition, consider the mental pain and suffering of the dog and its loved ones. Euthanizing your pet dog is a painful decision and it is a desperate decision when there is no other options are available. You have to be emotionally prepared and should have a pragmatic approach than an emotional one. Give a thorough thought and do it at home only if you are fully confident to do it, keeping an option to call your vet, in case it is inevitable.
A NOTE TO ALL OUR VISITORS: The information provided on this site is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease without consulting with a qualified healthcare provider. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. *Never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the petful101.com site.