Purina is a leading pet food supplier on the market recently. With an expert team of up to 350 nutritionists, scientists and veterinarians, Purina makes a wide collection of different diets for different purposes. So, many buyers are confused to choose the one for their dogs.
In this post, we will make a comparison between Purina ONE vs Purina Pro Plan to find out which Purina dog food line is better to go with.
Photo credit: Bethany Crawford
Purina is a pet food brand owned by Nestle-Purina. Based in St. Louis, Missouri, Purina is considered a leading pet food manufacturer and contributor amongst a portfolio of 30 well-known pet food brands. Purina has the annual sale of more than $12 billion, which proves that they’re one of the most profitable and growing businesses in the United States.
Purina ONE is famous for the creation of high-quality and high-protein dog foods for your dogs of all breeds and ages. With the full pride of bringing over one million meals each year to pets in Best Friend’s adoption centers across the world, the manufacturer has used 100% authentic ingredients in each recipe.
Most formulas include a protein content as the first ingredient (such as chicken, beef, or salmon). Some other ingredients come from corn gluten meal, brewer rice, poultry by-products, salt, whole-grain corn, and soybean meal. There is also wheat, classified as “fillers” that brings to a higher carbohydrate content to the dog’s digestive tract.
However, many pet lovers are not satisfied with, and thus, they steer away from Purina ONE for their grain content. In particular, some formulas are made with corn and poultry by-product meal. Dog food experts say that these ingredients make the digestibility worse than meat. Also, poultry is not as good as some specified poultry such as chicken, turkey, or duck.
Support Overall Health
The protein-rich foods in real meat provide essential proteins. These are made from essential amino acids, which help to keep muscles healthy and restore the body tissues. Meat is, no doubt, a good nutritional source for all dogs, helping them keep good health, build muscles, and grow fast.
Improve Skin and Coat
All recipes are made in a brilliant way to improve your pet's comprehensive health. Dogs need a balance of fatty acids from the food they eat. Thus, fat in the formulation provides energy, taste for food and helps dogs keep healthy skin and sleek fur.
Last but not least, vitamins and essential minerals are needed to support digestion, which is very good for the dog’s intestines. That’s why these ingredients are often used in pet foods. In addition, the one is formulated with a source of Omega 3’s and Omega 6’s, coming from fish oil, sunflower oil, soybean oil, corn oil, beef fat, animal fat that boost the ability of your pet’s immune system better. Besides, energy-rich fat supplies essential fatty acids and makes a contribution to the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, E, D, and K.
Purina Pro Plan
Users say that their pets are fond of the taste of Purina Pro Plan and love every bowl. With delicious taste and nutritional ingredients, the brand promises to offer them with the best of both worlds.
The food is formulated with first-rate proteins as the first ingredient. Some add whole-grain carbohydrates, while others include grain-free carbohydrates to fit different dog’s requirements.
Five major recipes of Purina Pro Plan include:
- Savor – packed with natural ingredients
- Bright Mind – packed with nutrients to enhance brain health
- Sports – help your dogs get better strength and endurance
- Focus – focus on unique nutritional demands
- Natural – no corn, wheat, or soy ingredients
Improve Skin and Coat
Purina Pro Plan’s formulas are designed with essential nutrients to provide specific requirements. They also include Vitamin A, linoleic acid and omega-6 fatty acid for a glossier skin and shinier coat. Besides, the food provides the perfect balance of nutrition with natural antioxidants and high protein levels that contribute to increasing resistance to disease.
Meet the Size’s Needs
Pro Plan varies in their formulas, including kibble and canned food, as well as snacks and treats. They are used for all life stages, from puppies, adults to senior dogs, or for all sizes – toy, small, large, and giant dogs. In addition, the line makes weight management foods, as well as foods specialized for dogs with sensitive skin and stomach. You are completely comfortable to choose various meat proteins, fat formulations, and even some limited ingredient diets.
Brain and Vision Development
The formula of chicken (or turkey) and rice provide your furry friends with Omega 3 and antioxidants that enhance the function of brain and promote the brain development. Furthermore, the puppy food formulas are specially made with DHA for brain and vision development, as well as for nourishing the development of the immune system.
Purina ONE vs Purina Pro Plan – Comparison Table
Purina Pro Plan
Dry Dog Food
Wet/Canned Dog Food
- Both are super-premium products with real meat as the first ingredient.
- They make the digestive tract easier, improve healthy skin and hair coat, and produce firmer stool volume resulting from 100% complete and balanced nutrients.
- Optimal protein and essential amino acid content maintain muscles and lean body mass.
- There is the devoid of added artificial color. Instead, they are preserved with mixed tocopherols – a natural antioxidant and form of Vitamin E, A, K from vegetable oils but not chemical preservatives.
- The different points are in the exact order of ingredients, or recipe of each line, the kibble size and shape, types of formulas, and availability.
- Purina Pro Plan provides a variety of puppy product lines such as formulas for large breed puppy, small breed puppy, and giant breed puppy. On the other hand, Purina ONE doesn't make giant or small breed products. So, you might want to check out other dog food for small dogs from Purina Pro Plan or another brand.
- You can look for Purina ONE at any retailers that sell that product line, but you can only buy Purina Pro Plan at pet specialty stores.
In short, both Purina ONE and Purina Pro Plan are great for dogs. Only based on your dog's needs and conditions, you could find which product is the better choice. With this up-to-date nutritional information and guide, we hope that every owner can make the right decision when choosing the best nutritional products for their furry friends.
Last but not least, if these two product lines from Purina still don’t satisfy your requirements, then you could go with Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo.
Thank you for reading! If you have any questions, let us know by leaving your comment below!